Build a Makeup Stash on a Budget

Building a makeup stash may seem like a daunting task, not to mention expensive. You have to remember, though, that expensive does not translate to high-quality. My makeup stash is fairly expansive, but it didn't break the bank. I have a mix of high-end, luxury, and drug-store products. I also want to note that a large makeup collection can take a long time to build, especially if you are just starting out. Here are some tips on how to build your makeup collection on a budget.


Look out for sales. I got this Wet 'N Wild lipstick and nail polish each for 24 cents. One day, while waiting for a prescription at Walgreens, I started digging through the clearance rack and found these. I also found a $4 ELF palette that was on clearance for 75 cents. Sales are probably the best way to build your stash on a budget. The best sale I've found was a broken $12 highlighter than was on sale for $1.


Buy inexpensive brands that are known for making amazing products. Some brands are always inexpensive, like Sinful Colors, and are known for making good products. I can usually find these in my area for 50 cents to $1. Another example of this is Coastal Scents Hot Pot eyeshadows. They are $2 each, but go on sale a few times a year for $1, and are amazingly pigmented eyeshadows.


Buy multi-packs. Mascara, like this Rimmel London Scandal Eyes, is almost always available in two-packs. I find multi-packs like this a lot when purchasing mascara and eyeliner. Occasionally, it is actually cheaper to buy two at once. The mascara above was $6 for a two-pack, while buying two separately would have cost me $7.48. Since I'm constantly running out of mascara, back-ups are awesome.


Don't be afraid of products from "cheap" stores. Dollar stores get a bad reputation in my opinion. I got all of the products above from my local dollar store. The two nail polishes came in a pack together, and the lipstick and lip liner came in a set. That means I got each product for 50 cents. The nail polish is Wet 'N Wild, a well-known brand. The fact that it came from a dollar store doesn't make it work any less. The L.A. Colors lipstick set is beyond amazing. I use it when I want a really glamorous look. Do you think people really know it came from the dollar store? The compliments I receive make me doubt it.

My last tip is pretty obvious. Don't buy things just because they're trendy or popular. I don't contour, so why do I need to spend my money on a contouring kit? Spoiler alert, I do have one and I think I've used it around ten times ever. I'd rather spend my money on something I will actually use, not something that is popular. Just because you see it everywhere does not mean you need it.

Remember that quality is more important than quantity. Having products that you love and will use is better than having thirty of the same type of product. That's not to say you can't have a huge collection of makeup. While it's easy to spend a small fortune on your stash, you don't have to.

What tips do you have for building a makeup collection without breaking the bank?

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.