Mary Kay: Eye Primer

A good friend of mine used to sell Mary Kay beauty products and when she went out of business after having a baby, she decided to sell her inventory of products at a discounted rate. What a great time to try out the Mary Kay Eye Primer! A girl can never have too many eyeshadow primers, can she?


Packaging & Value
These eyeshadow primers retail for $12, but I purchased mine for $8 since my friend was liquidating her inventory. You get 0.3 ounces of product. At first, I sat there holding this tiny tube thinking it seemed like a rip off. I mean, it's ridiculously small. How much use could I really get out of 0.3 ounces? I was pretty surprised when I realized how little you needed to completely cover your eyes, however. The dot in the picture below is way too much for both of my eyes. A little really does go a long way! The packaging is pretty straight forward, but I don't really love it. There's nothing special about it and the applicator can get pretty messy, as I'm sure you can tell. It also closes poorly. It's a screw-top lid and sometimes it just keeps "clicking" and never really closes tightly, so it is awful to travel with!


Application & Longevity
Since there is no wand included, you do have to apply this with a brush or your finger. I found that using a brush wasted too much product, so I use my finger. It is fairly thick and you can feel it on your eyes, which I'm not a huge fan of. Most eyeshadow primers melt into your skin and feel weightless. That's not the case here. It's actually thicker than most of the body lotions I own. Since it is white, you have to be very careful not to get it into your eyelashes or it is very noticeable. It does not look white on your eyelids after rubbing it in, but for some reason, it will stay white in your eyelashes.


Results & Recommendations
The swatches above show how well this eyeshadow primer work. The eyeshadows on the left were applied to bare skin, while the ones on the right were applied over the primer. The top swatch is a pressed eyeshadow and the bottom is a loose powder. As you can see, the primer does make the eyeshadow more vibrant! My issue is that it doesn't make my shadow last significantly longer than if I applied them to bare skin. I still experience quite a bit of creasing and fading. I generally use this for swatching new eyeshadows on here, but it's not the first thing I reach for when applying my makeup in the morning. Honestly, unless you are a beauty blogger or vlogger and need an inexpensive primer for swatches, I wouldn't recommend this product. I probably will not repurchase it, especially now that I don't know anyone who sells Mary Kay. The hunt for the perfect primer continues!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.